What is a lead? In the world of sales and marketing, a lead refers to an individual or organization who is interested in your products or services. Businesses know when someone is interested if he or she shares an email address to subscribe to the newsletter, contact number, or social media account.
It sounds simple enough. The tricky part is getting more leads to generate sales. Even if you already have loyal customers, you will always need new ones to keep the business growing. You don’t need to buy leads either in order to keep up with your competitors but generating leads on your own entails a lot of time and hard work. Keep in mind that in a competitive market, when every other company in the industry targets more or less the same audience, generating leads can be challenging.
How can you generate more leads? Here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Get by with a little help from your friends. One way to generate more leads is to tap into your personal network. In this business, networking is king and keeping connections, whether they be former colleagues, industry peers or someone you’ve met at a party, counts for a lot. They can tap their networks and share posts about your business on their respective social media accounts. Getting referrals can go a long way in reaching a much wider audience and hopefully pique the interest of other people.
- Set up and maintain a blog. Even if you’re not a writer, your knowledge and understanding of your offerings, as well as the industry, will make it easier for you to create content regularly for a blog. This platform is a popular way to showcase your products or services. At the same time, it helps establish your online presence and improve your credibility as a business owner. Another great thing about having a blog is that it’s easy to set up and maintain. There are several site-building platforms that you can choose from and before you know it, you can publish your content.
The digital space is becoming more and more saturated with all sorts of content. If you will utilize blogging for lead generation, make sure that your articles are straightforward and relevant to your target audience. Always add a call to action so your readers know what you want them to do. Also, post regularly to improve site traffic and your rankings in search engine results pages. If your content is interesting enough, your readers will be more engaged and likely to share your articles on their social media accounts – another potential source of more leads.
- Contact previous clients or old leads. Don’t lose hope when your leads didn’t result in sales. Though they were interested before, they might not be ready to purchase what you’re offering. It’s also possible that they lost interest because they found other options. Revisit your list of old leads and reach out to them again. They are probably ready to try your products this time around.
Reaching out to old leads is easier since you are already past the introductory part. At this point, you can remind them about your business and be more personalized in your approach. Offer to send email newsletters so they don’t miss out on promos or latest additions to your offerings. In the end, they may give your business another chance and this will translate to sales.
- Set up a referral program for existing customers. Client testimonials are useful tools to promote your products or services, and who can better attest the credibility of your business than your loyal customers? If you think that it may be awkward to ask them to help promote your business, set up a referral program. For every X number of people referred, a loyal customer will get some incentives. Giving incentives is a proven way to help gain new customers. And since they already have experience in doing business with you, they can provide positive feedback and hopefully attract more people to check your business out.
- Face-to-face interactions never get old. In this digital age when most people are always using their smartphones and gadgets all day, face-to-face interactions are still essential. The human approach provides several benefits that you cannot get from online networking.
Generate more leads by taking part in conferences and industry events. Be genuinely interested in conversations and make a mark in small group discussions. It may be old school, but it does the job of getting leads your way.
It’s also great to be invited as a guest speaker to an event where you can showcase your knowledge in the industry and your business. This will significantly help in establishing you as an authority in your space, and in building customer trust.
There are a lot of strategies to generate more leads to your business. It’s crucial to know your target market and their buying behavior so you can utilize the right approach to turn them into sales. We may be going digital, but it also pays to give your lead generation process a human touch. Promote your products or services to friends and family. Be an active participant in networking events. The right mix of traditional and digital approaches will help you gain new leads and make your business grow over time.
By Emily Lazration, CoverWallet
Emily is the Content Marketing Specialist at CoverWallet, a tech company that makes it easy for businesses to understand, buy and manage commercial insurance online.